Saturday, February 21, 2009

Kimono 101

I am doing this panel on kimono at the Middle Tennessee Anime Convention (MTAC) on the first weekend in April, so I began trying to write out presentation and handouts. So far, I really only have my handouts. The things on them will probably not be discussed during the panel; instead, they will be take-home notes. So far I have basic kimono terms and definitions, types of common kimono and formality, and my personal tips on buying kimono. But I am still trying to figure out what I will EXACTLY say and how I will fit everything in. I have probably 55 minutes to present. I am going to present the very basics of kimono. I want to introduce some things about kimono, then do a demonstration, followed by a short Q&A session. I figure I need 10-20 minutes to present the opening material, 20-30 minutes to dress and discuss what I am doing and what pieces I am using and why, and then whatever time is left for the Q&A. I plan on doing my opening on types of kimono and obi, formal versus casual, and some basic etiquette. For the dressing demonstration, I plan on doing a full outfit that is not yukata or furisode (I want to demonstrate the otaiko musubi). I know a lot of people who are beginners will get a yukata first, but I really want to do a more full demonstration. I mean, you can "work down" to the yukata from the type of demonstration, but it would be much harder to do the other way around. So yeah, if there is anything that you would recommend, please tell me.

No comments:

Post a Comment