Thursday, June 15, 2017

Handmade Kimono

For my last week of maternity leave, I really wanted to finish a sewing project. I bought the fabric for this kimono a long time ago, but I have only gotten around to making it now because the baby has started going to daycare. So here's the finished product (the color is most accurate in the close-up photos). It's a cotton-linen blend with white flower embroidery. I did a casual pairing with a hanhaba obi just for picture purposes. The obi is tied in 二色鼓結び (futairo tsuzumi musubi).


I was able to make this kimono tall and extra wide for my postpartum body - actually too wide for myself! Live and learn! 

I'm really proud of how the collar turned out because curves like that are usually difficult for me. I used the pattern and directions found in the book 『ミシンで着物』by やまとゆみ (ISBN 978-4-7661-1901-5), and I found their method to be really easy to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment